About The Film
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, roughly 50 percent of the nation’s 250,000 rivers are too polluted for swimming or fishing. Changing Currents: Protecting North America’s Rivers investigates the threats to these vital bodies of water and explores some of the compelling restoration efforts occurring in communities across the continent. The mission of Changing Currents is to raise awareness, encourage environmental stewardship, and advocate for increased public dialogue about effective river protection efforts.
John Struzenberg: Director of Photography/Lead Editor
Rachel Lovrovich: Creative Director
Joshua Wiersma: Videographer/Assistant Editor
Kelly Lavelle: Publicity Designer/Photographer
Chris Boettcher: Social Media Associate
Melody Coleman: Composer
Terran Warden: Narrator
Dr. Robert Marshall Wells: Academic Advisor
Directed and contributed to the creation of all graphics and promotional materials.
Created the opening title, lower thirds, graphics, and end title credits.
- 2017 College Division Emmy Nomination in the long-form documentary category by the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
- Award of Merit in the Documentary Short, Use of Film / Video for Social Change, Original Score, Editing, and Title/Credit Design categories from the Accolade Competition of Southern California.
- Award of Merit Special Mention in the Nature / Environment / Wildlife category from the Accolade Competition of Southern California.
- Award of Honors in the Campaigns – Non-Profit/Public Affairs category from the International Mercury Design Awards.
- First Place Grand Prize Award in the long-form documentary category from the National Broadcasting Society (NBS-aeRho).
- Mark of Excellence Finalist in the in-depth reporting category from the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Region 10.
In the news:
- “Newest MediaLab film warns of troubled waters” – Tacoma Weekly
- “Newest MediaLab documentary film, set to premiere Nov. 12, warns PLU community and beyond about troubled waters” – PLU Newsroom
- “PLU’s MediaLab wins 2017 National Broadcasting Society Award” – PLU Newsroom
- “Changing Currents documentary has East Coast premiere Saturday in Clayton” – Watertown Daily Times
- “MediaLab’s ‘Changing Currents’ nominated for Emmy” – PLU Newsroom